First it was Atkins, then it was South Beach, now it’s the White Smile Diet
Annapolis, Maryland – Numbers from a recent American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) survey show that whitening treatments have increased more than 300% since 1996. With so many individuals brightening their smile, the AACD has a few easy maintenance tips for consumers to consider after whitening.
“While daily home care and regular professional cleanings are essential for maintaining healthy teeth and gums, certain foods can help remove stains from your teeth,” said local AACD accredited member cosmetic dentist Dr. Scott Finlay. “Foods such as apples, pears, celery, carrots, cauliflower and cucumbers produce saliva which combines with the foods’ natural fibers to naturally clean teeth and remove bacteria.”
More White Smile Diet Foods and Tips:
• Strawberries will naturally whiten your teeth.
• Avoid drinking coffee, dark syrup sodas, red wine and blueberries. All stain teeth quickly.
• Drink from a straw whenever possible this allows food dyes to bypass teeth altogether.
• Baking soda will help remove stains and build up. Brush it on your teeth twice a month, just as you would toothpaste, and rinse.
• Raw veggies are not only healthy to eat, but they will clean your teeth and remove topical stains.
• The mechanical action of chewing sugarless gum can also stimulate saliva and clean teeth surfaces, though not recommended for patients with TMJ.
About the AACD
Comprised of over 8,000 cosmetic dental professional in 70 countries around the globe, the AACD is the world’s largest non-profit membership organization dedicated to advancing excellence in cosmetic dentistry (comprehensive oral care that combines art and science to optimally improve dental health, aesthetics and function). The AACD fulfills its mission by offers superior educational opportunities; promoting and supporting a respected Accreditation credential; serving as a user-friendly and inviting forum for the creative exchange of knowledge and ideas; and providing accurate and useful information to the public and the profession. To learn more about cosmetic dentistry visit www.aacd.com or call (800) 543-9220.
Dr. Scott Finlay is an accredited member dentist with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry and practices in Arnold, Maryland. Information about Dr. Finlay and his practice can be found at www.AnnapolisSmiles.com.