Crooked teeth aren’t just a cosmetic issue. Often, they contribute to serious dental health concerns and should not be ignored. Crooked teeth make it difficult to brush and floss properly. This allows plaque and debris to build up, possibly leading to cavity formation and gum disease.
Annapolis dentist, Dr. Scott Finlay offers several solutions for crooked teeth including treatment options for straightening teeth with or without braces.
Straightening Teeth Without Braces
Straightening teeth without braces is used when there are no health considerations that would require braces. Common treatment options include porcelain veneers and dental crowns.
- Porcelain Veneers – Porcelain Veneers correct minor problems including gaps between teeth, crooked teeth, or uneven teeth. They are thin shells that are bonded to the front and sides of the tooth hiding the imperfections. They are resistant to staining and can be perfectly color-matched with your natural teeth.
- Cosmetic Bonding– A quick and easy way to fix minor imperfections in the teeth, including crooked teeth. For this procedure, a biocompatible resin is applied directly to the tooth and sculpted into the proper shape and form. Cosmetic tooth bonding does not remove any of the natural tooth structure, but is not as durable and long-lasting as other procedures and may require touch-ups. This is an effective and economical treatment for patients who are not ready for a more permanent treatment such as veneers.
- Dental Crowns – They cover the entire tooth like a cap and can be used to close spaces between teeth, lengthen teeth, and achieve symmetry. A dental crown can also treat teeth that are worn, broken, or affected by tooth decay. Using dental cement, a crown is permanently placed on a prepared tooth. If cared for properly, it can last a long time but is designed to last at least five years.
Orthodontics Straighten Crooked Teeth
Orthodontics is a specialty of dentistry focused on correcting the alignment and position of teeth, jaw joints, and TMJ disorders. Orthodontic treatment may involve either metal braces or invisible braces to straighten teeth.
Invisible braces are preferred by many adult and teen patients. This treatment is well suited for patients with mild to moderate alignment problems.
Benefits of Invisible Braces
- Effective treatment for a wide variety of alignment problems including crowding, spacing, overbite, and underbite
- Removable trays allow you to eat whatever you want
- Improved hygiene because you can brush and floss normally
- Smooth plastic instead of sharp metal means more comfortable treatment
- The convenience of visiting our Annapolis dentist office to monitor treatment instead of specialist
Now Offering Six Month Smiles
We now offer Six Month Smiles in our Annapolis dental office. These are low profile, tooth-colored brackets and wires that straighten teeth in six months, on average. Six Month Smiles is less expensive than Invisalign or traditional metal braces.
Straighter Teeth For A Healthy Smile
Improve your self-esteem as well as your dental health by straightening crooked teeth. Contact Scott Finlay, DDS & Associates, PA in Annapolis, MD to schedule a consultation and learn about which treatment options are right for you.
Call our Annapolis, MD dentist office at 443–276–4094 or request an appointment online.