A mouthguard from a dentist (versus the ones you would buy in a store) offer custom fit, greater protection, and better results. There are several types of mouthguards we offer in our Annapolis dental office. Night guards help prevent tooth grinding. Snore guards improve snoring and sleep apnea. The most popular mouthguards we make are for contact sports. A custom mouthguard is made to fit specifically over your teeth and gums.
Type of Mouthguards we Offer
- Night Guards – For our patients that grind their teeth or clench their jaw while they sleep, we may prescribe a custom night guard. Many people may not even be aware that they do these things in their sleep until a dental exam or symptoms appear. A dentist may notice that your teeth are worn down, an obvious sign you are grinding your teeth while you sleep. You may also wake up with headaches or a sore jaw. This is a sure sign that you are clenching your jaw while you sleep. A custom night guard can help you find relief if you suffer from these issues.
- Snore Guards – Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that affects millions of Americans. Snoring is the number one symptom. If you suffer from snoring or other symptoms of sleep apnea, you may want to schedule a visit with Dr. Finlay for a custom snore guard. This oral device prevents your tongue and jaw from slipping while you sleep which can block your air passage. It will help keep your lower jaw in a comfortable, forward position while you sleep helping to prevent snoring.
- Custom Sports Mouthguards – For many sports, mouthguards are mandatory. They are designed to protect the teeth in the event of a collision or other traumatic force. Since the mid 1990’s, the American Dental Association has endorsed the use of sports mouthguards for those who participate in contact sports. Over the counter mouthguards are often sufficient, but they aren’t always comfortable. A mouthguard that isn’t comfortable, not worn properly, or not worn at all is ineffective. With a custom fitted mouthguard, it has been proven to reduce the risk of dental injuries.
Benefits of Custom Mouthguard
- A comfortable fit: they are made from impressions of your teeth
- Maximum available protection: the secure fit ensures the best possible protection of teeth and gums and may reduce the forces of impact that can cause a concussion
- Better compliance: with the ability to drink fluids while wearing it, users are more likely to keep a comfortable mouthguard in place
- Oral appliance protection: a custom fit mouthguard can be made to accommodate braces and other oral appliances to avoid breakage and damage to the gums
Fitting for a custom mouthguard is quick, painless and can be completed during a routine preventive care visit to our Arnold dentist office. The dentist will take an impression of your teeth to get the closest possible fit. A plaster model is made and sent to a dental lab where your custom mouthguard is made. Once complete, we will contact you for pick up.