We see many patients with a bite that feels uneven, unstable or that makes chewing and speaking difficult. An uneven bite, known as malocclusion, is often the sign of a more complex dental problem that should be addressed to avoid possible tooth damage or loss.
Annapolis area dentist Dr. Scott Finlay is a nationally recognized educator and leader in the diagnosis and treatment of complex dental problems such as bite disorders. Utilizing digital technology such as Tekscan, he performs a comprehensive examination of all aspects of a patient’s occlusal system (teeth, gums and jaw joints) during routine dental care, looking for the signs of instability and wear that indicate a dental problem.
In addition to daily discomfort, an untreated bite disorder can also compromise the results of any dentistry you may receive, often leading to a repeat of the same problem.
Causes of an Uneven Bite
There are many reasons for an uneven bite that is affecting your dental health:
- Misaligned teeth
- Overbite or underbite
- Trauma or accidental injury
- Missing teeth
- Persistent teeth grinding and jaw clenching
- Poorly fit oral appliance
Treatment for Malocclusion
In order to restore a comfortable, functional bite, Dr. Finlay will perform an examination, any necessary diagnostic tests and discuss your medial history. Your treatment will be comprehensive and tailored to your unique dental problem.
Treatment options can include:
- Mouth guard or splint therapy: a conservative option, Dr. Finlay may recommend a custom mouth guard or dents splint to position the jaw correctly and reduce damage being caused by teeth grinding. This is often a first step as well as a maintenance treatment after additional restorative procedures
- Bite Correction Therapy: this can include one or more restorative dental treatments such as dental crowns or tooth bonding to change the shape of or repair teeth.
- Orthodontics: realigning and straightening teeth with traditional or invisible braces
Restore a comfortable, healthy bite with Dr. Finlay in his Arnold dentist office.