Candy Wiggans RDH
1. Increases salivary flow. Chewing promotes the flow of saliva. Saliva has enzymes that digest carbohydrates, it has antibodies that fight decay causing bacteria, contains buffers that neutralize the acids that eat at your teeth and it contains minerals that help rebuild parts of your teeth that have been attacked by decay acid. Clinical studies have shown that chewing gum for 20 minutes following meals can help prevent tooth decay.
2. Mechanically cleans the surfaces of your teeth as you chew. Chewing gum does not replace brushing and flossing. It is recommended to brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and cleaning once a day in between your teeth with floss or other interdental cleaners.
3. Helps you quit smoking cigarettes. Try nicotine gum. Nicotine gum puts some nicotine into your system to help stop the impulse to smoke. It gives you something else to do besides puff a cigarette.
4. Helps you loose weight. Studies have shown that people who chew gum between meals tend to snack less. By chewing gum you can burn 11 calories an hour which can add up over time. Sugarless gum is the best choice.
5. Loosen up a tight jaw. If your jaw is tight and you clench your teeth it will give your mouth something else to do by working out the muscles.
6. Stress reliever. Keeps you cool under pressure, calms your nerves and it helps keep you awake instead of caffeine.
7. Beneficial additives. Delivers added nutrients such as Vitamin C to supplement your diet, fluoride to strengthen teeth and Xylitol to kill bacteria.
8. Increases blood flow to the brain. Extra circulation can help boost your memory and make you feel more alert.
9. Helps you stop biting your nails. It will distract your mouth away from your fingers.
10. Reduces the symptoms of acid reflux disease. The saliva flow can lead to an antacid effect in the stomach
Chewing gum can be offensive in some social situations if you are a noisy gum chewer. Chew gum quietly so the people around you don’t have to listen to you chew and remember to dispose of your chewed gum properly.
Candy Wiggans RDH is a dental hygienist who practices with Scott Finlay DDS & Associates, in Annapolis, Maryland. The dental office is a comprehensive restorative practice and a recognized leader in dental esthetics. The mission of the practice is to provide dental solutions to patients to enhance and maintain their best possible smiles. More information can be found at www.AnnapolisSmiles.com or by dialing 410.757.6681.